A risotto that makes use of delicious Spring vegetables
Look for spring onions and asparagus in the Spring at your local farmers' market. To make this vegetarian, swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- 2 cup(s)Arborio rice
- 5 cup(s)low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup(s)dry white wine
- 8 ounce(s)asparagus,
ends trimmed, sliced 1 inch thick at an angle
- 3 mediumspring onion(s),
cleaned and sliced, green stalks discarded
- 1 tbspbutter
- 1 cup(s)parmesan cheese,
- 1 tbspparsley,
- 1 tbsplemon juice
- fresh ground pepper
1. In a small pot on the back burner, warm the vegetable or chicken broth.
2. On the front burner in a large pot, melt half the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about three minutes, stirring ocassionally.
3. Add the rice and cook for another two minutes, stirring.
4. Add the wine, continue to stir.
5. Once the wine has been mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes, begin adding the warm stock in 1/2-1 cup increments. People often tell you to stir constantly, but in the beginning it’s alright to let it be for a bit.
6. View full recipe at The Year in Food