A classic recipe with a little kick.
You can use sweet or smoked paprika
- 8 ounce(s)white cheddar cheese
- fresh ground pepper,
- kosher salt,
- 1 tspsmoked paprika
- 4 tbspunsalted butter
- 6 tbspall purpose flour
- 4 cup(s)lowfat milk
- 1 lb(s)rigatoni pasta
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook at a rolling boil until just tender. Drain. Rinse. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring the milk to just a boil in a heavy saucepan. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in another pan. Add the flour and whisk over low heat for about 5 minutes. Do not brown. Remove from the heat.
- Add the butter mixture to the milk and whisk well to get rid of lumps. Add 1/2 tsp of paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Return to heat. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly until it’s smooth and it thickens. About 5 minutes.
- Add mixture to the pasta and coat. Spread the grated cheese over the top of the pasta. Sprinkle the top with the remaining paprika.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Then, place dish under the broiler (about 4 inches away from heat) and cook for another 3-4 minutes until slightly golden.