Pretty much Mili's favorite comfort food: an Indian version of lentil soup served over white rice. Nutritious and hearty, this dish warms the soul.
|Prep Time||40 min|
Serve hot with white basmati rice, or any other white rice that you have on hand. For a seriously authentic Indian experience, slice up some onions, squeeze lemon juice over them, toss with salt and pepper and mix the spiced raw onions into your bowl. Some of the spices in this recipe are hard to come by (even at Whole Foods!), but are pretty critical for most Indian dishes. If possible, visit a local Indian grocery store and ask for them. Or, ask your Indian friends to hook you up! If you still can't find them, substitute another 1/2 tsp lime juice in place of dried mango powder, and feel free to leave out coriander powder or substitute with fresh chopped coriander. The asofetida is pretty clutch, though it is the hardest one to get outside of Indian stores.
- 1 cup(s)yellow lentils,
- 2 1/2 cup(s)water
- 1/2 tspsalt
- 1/3 tspturmeric powder
- 1/2 tsplime juice,
- 1/4 tspdried mango powder
- 1/3 tspcoriander powder
- 1/4 tspasofetida powder
- 1/3 tspcumin seeds
- 1/4 tspred chili powder
- 2 tspcanola or vegetable oil
- Combine lentils and 2 ½ cups water, salt, and turmeric powder, in a medium size pot (roughly 1 qt), bring to rapid boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After lentils have cooked for 30 mins, check for consistency - it should be the consistency of creamy soup. Continue to cook if it is still watery.
- Once lentils have reached desired consistency, add lemon juice, dried mango power and coriander powder. Stir to combine.
- In a separate Teflon coated pan (the smaller the better) heat the oil on medium heat for 1 minute. Check the oil's temperature by putting in a cumin seed. When the oil is ready, the seed should bubble.
- When oil is ready, add asafetida, then cumin seeds, then red chili powder – heat for 30 seconds (the spice mixture, called tarka, should be reddish-brown; if you overheat it, it will burn and turn black. Don't use if burnt). Add to lentils and stir. Add additional spice to taste.
- Serve in a bowl over rice.